Construction of Rainwater Harvesting Tanks and Training
|Project Area||Inspector Eatham Housing Project in Pottuvil, Ampara|
|Duration||18 May 2007 - 18 June 2007|
|Funded by|| Solid House Foundation and Sewa Lanka Foundation
|Aim||The project aims to is to construction of 10 rainwater harvesting tanks within the “Inspector Eatham Housing Project” in Pottuvil, Ampara, Sri Lanka.|
|Objective||To improve water supply and water security in households effected by tsunami in Ampara District.|
- Preliminary Arrangements: LRWHF staff contacted the SHFL staff to make preliminary arrangement to conduct awareness programs to community and made arrangement to procure materials from suppliers.
- Awareness programmes: Awareness programs was conducted to community at SHFL community center Pottuvil on 08/05/2007 and 9 persons attended. Visuals and video documentary on the utilization of rainwater was used to raise awareness during the program. Leaflets and brochures were distributed to the community on rainwater harvesting systems.
- Construct RWH systems in individual households: There are 10 x 8m3 RWH systems completed in individual households at 10 selected locations at Inspector Eatham Housing Project. Please see attached annex 2 for name of beneficiaries.
- Operation and maintenance training for households: Members of each households were trained in O&M of the system and a instruction leaflet as well as a Calendar containing O&M pictures were given to each households constructed with a rain water harvesting tank. See list participants at O&M training program.
- Mason Training: The project gave on the job training to 2 appointed masons on the construction of RWH tank with the help of master masons previously trained by LRWHF. One set of frames (10 legs and ring) and set of 6 mm iron bars (25 Kg) was handed over to the trained masons.
Awareness program to community
On the job training to masons
RWH Tanks at Inspector Eatham Housing Project
Operation and maintenance Program to beneficiaries